JOB TITLE: Director of Volunteer Recruitment
REPORTS TO: VP, Marketing and Stakeholder Engagement
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Recruitment Engagement Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt – Salary
LOCATION: Nashville, TN
For over 50 years Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality and innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members bring unique perspectives and skills and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee seeks a Director of Volunteer Recruitment who will lead the development and implementation of comprehensive volunteer mentor (Big) recruitment strategies that advance our mission by driving high-quality and engaged leads into the pipeline to support all mentoring programs within the BBBSMT service area.
In this role, you will support agency-wide strategic priorities by increasing the volume and strengthening the diversity of volunteer mentor (Big) inquiries, completion of initial training and achievement of ready to be matched (RTBM) status.
The Director of Volunteer Recruitment will cultivate and maintain relationships and identify opportunities therein to support recruitment objectives. S/he will be an inspirational leader, storyteller and public speaker who is energized by ambitious goals. S/he will have excellent presentation and partnership development skills with a deep passion for our mission as well as a robust knowledge of the Middle Tennessee corporate, private sector, community and philanthropic landscape.
Day to day
- Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing and Stakeholder Engagement, lead the development and implementation of strategies and tactics to deliver on volunteer recruitment objectives
- Develop and maintain a monthly recruitment and community engagement calendar and dashboard. Evaluate the implementation of recruitment strategies and monitor progress relative to goals. Analyze data to isolate trends and adjust strategy as needed to optimize results
- Collaborate with Programs Team on development of recruitment goals, objectives and process to ensure a positive and seamless volunteer mentor recruitment and enrollment experience
- Ensure high-quality front-line customer service contact with web-based inquiries including initial engagement, follow-up and scheduling of training
- Identify and steward key relationships within the business community, civic groups and community-based organizations to aid and advance BBBSMT mission and recruitment goals. Identify and pursue high potential recruitment opportunities which may include but are not limited to speaking engagements, networking events and virtual/social media tactics. Regularly conduct general and customized volunteer mentor information sessions for both community members and partners
- Create compelling and customized outreach content, presentations and promotional materials. Collaborate with Digital Marketing Manager to develop content and messaging that drives clear narratives about our recruitment process and mentoring programs across website, email and social media platforms
- Build a mentor pipeline that represents the gender, racial/ethnic, sexual orientation and cultural diversity of our mentee (Little) community
- Inspire, coach and develop Recruitment Engagement Manager in the implementation of tactics designed to support agency strategic priorities and volunteer recruitment objectives
- Serve as a proactive and creative problem-solver who brings passion, enthusiasm and innovation to the Marketing and Stakeholder Engagement Team, Leadership Team and agency as a whole
This Job May Be For You…
- Demonstrated expertise in business/partnership development, community organizing, sales, volunteer recruitment or outcomes-based campaign management
- Strong interpersonal skills with natural ability to connect people with causes and engage them to take action. Excellent written and verbal communications skills including presentation development and delivery. Empathetic communicator who can build rapport, trust and credibility
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful and persistent. Ability to analyze data as well as identify insights and trends that drive strategic recommendations to meet recruitment objectives
- Places high-value on customer service and follow through. Goal-oriented with ability to multi-task, work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines. Team player with desire to innovate and collaborate
- Experience leading and motivating staff or volunteers from diverse backgrounds and demonstrated appreciation for diversity across the mentor community
- Passion for positive youth development, alignment with BBBSMT mission and vision as well as strong desire to impact our community through volunteerism and collective action
- Ability to travel across the Middle Tennessee area and support events, training and information sessions during evenings and weekends as needed
- 5-7-years of successful experience in business/partnership development, community organizing, sales, volunteer recruitment or outcomes-based campaign management
- Bachelor’s degree in business, sales, marketing or related field
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and digital/social media platforms
- Excellent database management and presentation skills. Salesforce experience a plus
Because we hire the best people and value our staff, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN works hard to provide competitive benefits to our team. We believe work-life balance is essential and support staff in achieving this. Our comprehensive benefit package includes:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)- generous portion is paid by BBBSMT
- Company Paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Immediate enrollment in our 403B — We match 50% of what you contribute up to 6% of pay. Staff are vested after 12 months of employment
- Training & Development Programs
- Opportunities for advancement- we promote from within!
- 16 days of paid time off
- 16 paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years
- Flexible work schedule
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org with “Your Name – Director of Volunteer Recuitment” in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. Other duties as assigned.
Big Brothers Big sisters of Middle Tennessee celebrates diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.