Bigs and littles meet weekly out in the community on their own.
Our community based program is our core, and what most people think of when they imagine a Big Brother/Little Brother or Big Sister/Little Sister friendship. You will contact the Little and their guardian, and arrange for a time to get together on a weekday evening or during the weekend.
COMMUNITY BASED BASICS
Some Bigs meet their Littles on the weekends. Others get together with their Littles in the evenings. Each match is unique and develops a schedule that works for them. What matters is simply that you are spending time with your Little, and many others are doing the same - all over Middle Tennessee.
- I am willing to meet with a child every week for at least one calendar year
- I am at least 18 years old
- I am a resident of one of the following counties: Davidson, Wilson, Rutherford, Williamson, Dickson, Cheatham, Robertson or Sumner
- I have lived in the Middle Tennessee area for at least three months
- I don't anticipate any major life changes anticipated in the next year (e.g. starting school, graduating, changing jobs, having a baby, etc.)
Enjoying a game
Our office is very fortunate that many season ticket holders and others donate unused tickets to sporting events, theater productions, and concerts for use by our matches.
Planting a garden
Teaching a young person about healthy eating is important, and learning where vegetables come from and how easy it is to grow a garden can open many doors down the road.
BE A TOURIST IN YOUR OWN TOWN
A stroll down Lower Broad, a visit to the Farmers Market, or walking around a college campus can all lead to interesting discoveries and rewarding conversations for you and your Little.
GO TO THE PARK & THROW A BALL
Lots of our young people enjoying outdoor activities and sports.
And teaching a young person how to throw the perfect spiral is a skill that you need to share.
DISCOVERING A NEW HOBBY
Maybe you and your Little share a common love of photography, or maybe it’s introducing them to scrapbooking, chess or arts and crafts. You’ll both enjoy the journey!
IN THEIR WORDS
"My Big Sister understands me and helps me so much."